Saturday, March 7, 2009

Dr. Heit

By this time its around 10:30 and I had just taken the second test. I didn’t want to call the doctor I had been seeing, he’s just weird (my sister knows that story… too graphic). So I called my friend Arica, I started to tell her the story and ask if I could have the name of her doctor (she loved him!). She told me that when I call I need to say that I haven’t been feeling good and that I’m miserable (basically lie… she’s really great). Up to this point I hadn’t been feeling too bad, just tired and achy. She said that was the only way I’d get in before I hit the 8-week mark.

So the next day I went to work and called the doctors office. I told the lady that answered the phone I thought I was pregnant (that’s right, I said “I thought”, who cares about the two test that screamed at me the night before). She asked if I had missed my period and I said yes, she asked if I took a home pregnancy test and I said yes, then she asked when was the first day of my last period (WOW, I was on the pill and I still had trouble with this one). She guessed that I was about 4 weeks and told me that they don’t see anyone until around 8 weeks and that she could schedule me in at that time.

So what do I do? I LIE!!! (thanks Arica) I tell her that I haven’t been feeling good and that I’m miserable. She talked to the nurse and they decided that I should come in on Friday (it’s Wednesday). Jason and I wanted to get in that week because we were going home for Christmas and if we were for sure pregnant (again, two tests) then we were going to surprise our family.

Friday finally gets here. Jason and I get to the doctors office and there was ton of paper work to fill out. As I’m trying to answer these very personal questions, Jason is making silly, inappropriate comments in my ear AND I can’t help but laugh. I’m pretty sure there were a few women in that waiting room judging us. But really, we were so nervous and scared (at least I was) that it was good to giggle out loud.
Its our turn and we go back to the room where the nurse takes my weight (No, I will not be sharing) and figures out the Due Date based on the first day of my last period (I still don’t understand how they do this). AUGUST 25, 2009.

Dr. Heit comes in and introduces himself and starts to talk to us about the the do’s and don’ts and what to expect, this is where he tells me that its ok if I can’t keep any food down in the coming weeks, just keep drinking fluids, WAIT, WHAT?!? I was feeling fine at this point, but I have say, I started getting a bit nervous.

After the brief talk, Dr. Heit steps out so I can change. Remember Jason’s still in the room (first time in this type of situation). As I change Jason starts to play with the height chart, go figure! I sit on the table and as Dr. Heit knocks, Jason runs back to his chair next to me and says, “I wasn’t playing with that”. Dr. Heit just smiles (like he hasn’t seen that before, boys!!!)

Now this is where it gets funny. As Dr. Heit does his thing, checking me out (you know what I mean) he starts up a conversation with Jason about sports!!! Poor Jason is answering him and trying to act as normal as possible, but keeps his eyes on the floor the entire time. Dr. Heit gets up and walks over and then starts the breast exam, still talking to Jason about sports AND Jason is still looking at the floor (not that I wanted him to get a good look, but its just so funny to me). I know Dr. Heit was just trying to make Jason feel somewhat comfortable in that situation, but I don’t think Jason knew what he was in for. I think now he might have a new appreciation for what us women go through every year!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home